Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Assignment #5 Emulation of Tom Ulrich





Tom Ulrich has been involved in photography for 35 years, and has had his photos in National Wildlife, National Geographic and many other popular wildlife and outdoor magazines. Tom enjoys shooting birds the most. Its not so much the amount of color he uses, although he uses a lot, its the contrast of color. Although the photos on his website are not some of his best, the ones he used in his presentation that I saw were amazing. It astounds me the amount of time he will spend on a subject, up to 11 hours straight. I did not try to emulate the 11 hours I tried to emulate the color contrast and I thought the snow would give me a perfect opportunity. I did sit in the snow for an hour trying to be as still as possible to capture a male Cardinal in a white snow background. I did capture that shoot as well as a few other cool ones, although I did not think they were as good. Check out Tom's website www.tomulrichphotos.com

8 comments:

faithrl said...

I'm not sure who did this one....but this a great job!!!
Faith

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Kelley!!
Great work! That was such a lovely morning to shoot these subjects.
I'm partial to the last two. The third one because the little bird seems to be so isolated in the cold, and the fourth because of the lines with the branch and color.
See ya soon.
Peace,
Terri

Unknown said...

Kelley!!
Great work! That was such a lovely morning to shoot these subjects.
I'm partial to the last two. The third one because the little bird seems to be so isolated in the cold, and the fourth because of the lines with the branch and color.
See ya soon.
Peace,
Terri

Hiliary said...

Great photos!! May I ask how far away you were from the birds? It looks like you were right up on them. I would have scared them all way. Plus, I don’t think I could have sat for 11 hours straight like Tom!!! The colors are beautiful...very vibrant. You can tell that you took time to get some good pictures. Great job!

Amy said...

KJ!! Your photos are great. I wouldn't have the patience to photograph birds or wildlife in general. You got some amazing photos of them. I especially like the last one. I think you got the rule of thirds in with it, and also leading lines, with the branch leading up the bird. It also makes it into almost a grid. Good job.

TAQUILLA said...

I think these photos are great! I'm not sure who you are, but the photo with the bird is fantastic!

Shane Bevel said...

Kelly! Man great work here. Nice job on hearing about a style of photography and pursuing it to see if it interested you. I think we would all love to hear a little more about how you went about making these images. The last image you posted with the cardinal and the snowy white background is outstanding. Keep up the good work.